It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: 2010 Hammerhead 250 SS
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:02 pm 
Buggy Addict

I believe some people have had that issue. Mine didn't go that far, but if memory serves, somebody had to mill out the oval area a little bit so they could get it in adjustment.

Here's a pic of my old buggy, when I believe it had the BBK, Tom had port/polished it and milled it.

Attachments:
carb support kit 3.jpg
carb support kit 3.jpg [ 2 MiB | Viewed 283 times ]

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:49 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Sockman wrote:
I believe some people have had that issue. Mine didn't go that far, but if memory serves, somebody had to mill out the oval area a little bit so they could get it in adjustment.

Here's a pic of my old buggy, when I believe it had the BBK, Tom had port/polished it and milled it.

Mill out the oval?

2015 Hammerhead GTS 250 SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:08 pm 
Buggy Addict

EVILWS6 wrote:
Sockman wrote:

Mill out the oval?

Yeah, the banana shaped open part that the adjuster bolt goes through. If your adjuster is way out there, then something isn't right. You sure you got the cam in there right? Could be off a tooth? I think I used the sight hole to make sure it was at the right spot (TDC), but I've also read where that is not reliable.

Joylaris 400

Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:40 am 
Buggy Crazed

I have given up on trying to find parts B-066000 and B-082000. I found the shift forks on aliexpress for like $42 plus $14 shipping a few months ago. But then they were all gone when I went to purchase recently. I know one of the vendors has them, but I don't think I want to spend $200 plus shipping. That's just too much.
Plus, without the secondary shaft assembly it's definitely not worth it.
I have always taken great care when shifting into low, but it only had 300 miles when the issue started. I even put on a new axle sprocket and chain hoping for the best, but it didn't stop the skipping in low.
I still have all other gears operational, but if anything else fails the buggy will be done. It has just over 400 miles on it, so hopefully I'll get to enjoy the head and cam for a little while.
I would not suggest to anyone to buy a buggy with the Cf250 with the high low anymore. The low gear issue seems to be the most common problem and without parts there's no fixing it.

Last edited by EVILWS6 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:44 pm 
Aftermarket Dealer

Let start with the beginning. CF Moto, years ago stop selling their engine to third party and start their own brand of machine. My Hammerhead 250 SS is a 2007, one of the first one that came out of the manufacture and was shipped to Canada. I have more than 4000 miles on it and never got problem with the transmission. I rebuilt the engine top end and a few miles in I snap the crank at the variator. At that time I opened the transmission and all gears were perfect. Mean 4000 miles no problem. I read a lots of people having problem with gears and sold a lots until I ran out.

Do you think I shift gears better than anyone? I don't think so. Something changes over the years, maybe quality, maybe another suppliers sold a replica of the engine and ...

Hammerhead discontinued the machine, this is where the problems started. Soon a machine is discontinued, they stop parts production at the same time, USUALLY. In this case CF Moto took over the parts as the engine is still in production, well the same base engine. To get parts now, a dealer would have to talk with CF Moto, this is not the problem. The problem start with the minimum quantity to purchase. Mean, you have to put some serious dollars ahead to get parts and sit on it if they do not sale. Let put an easy number $10,000 of parts. Mean a dealer would put $10,000 and tight his cash flow and take a guess. If you check on my website, some CF Moto 250 parts are still lower than other dealers, this is because once upon a time they were cheaper and I kept the price down to help people instead of raising the price. Some are higher because of the price increase.

Here's another one, have you ever check Amazon and eBay, they have the fast selling parts but not the slow selling parts. They focus on moving a lots of products instead of sitting on it and carry it all. I received a lots of emails about getting the wrong parts, they say it fit but it doesn't.

Here's another one, The Carter GTR 250 with the bad live axle and cv axles. Carter went out of business in 2010. Mean production stop at the same time. I found the original manufacturer but by the time I talk with them, all the tooling was destroyed otherwise I would of buy them and get them ship in Canada. I started from scratch, measure every single piece and did a drawing. From there I got a manufacture in China to make the CV axles. Of course you have a minimum order to do, they don't only make 2 cv axles. Mean I took a guess and put up the money up front without even knowing if my crazy idea would work. Next the live axle, I checked in Canada and the cheapest was $700 per live axle. I know some people said it is crazy but good machinist charge good money but you have a perfect axle when they are done. I also thought it was expensive. I bought a milling machine and lathe without even knowing how they work. You know you are already in for the CV axles mind as well go for the rest. Now I have the machines but you also need the tooling, rotary table, holders, bits and ... After I got all the tooling, I need to learn how those 2 machines work. Bottom line, took me a month and half to get one good live axle and a lots of 1" round bar. The guys at the metal place laughed and laughed because I told them what I was trying to do. But you should of see my face when I finish the first one and it work. I installed it on my GTR 250 and beet that machine really hard, gas, brake, gas, brake and it went thru hell and back. Took everything apart to check the result, show mechanic guys the result and ask them is this good or not. They all gave the OK. As of today, I never receive a return OR get someone complaining about breaking axles.

So yes, it seem expensive but when you calculate the time spent, it's not that expensive. As of today I never see another solution like I did. Another interesting thing, nobody else even copy OR make their own, you do not find this strange? This is simple, nobody is enough crazy to do what I did. I saw the 18 splines cv axles online but the problem is the live axle itself, it twist and break. This is why I went with 24 splines as I was able to get a full size live axle instead of narrow it down like the 18 splines. I did make an 18 splines axle but after showing it to people that know more than me, the result was, if you sell that you will have problems and return because they will break. This is even with 4140.

So yes, I do understand when people say it is expensive and I would say you are right but when you look at how much trouble and money you have to put up front, it is different a bit. Soon a machine get discontinued parts get harder to find and become expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm 
Buggy Crazed

MaxP, I understand the trouble and costs of tooling up and learning to make or develop parts. It is a big undertaking for sure. Also having to put up a large sum of funds to have a manufacturer do a run is outrageous as well.
I did just send someone your way for the live axle kit for the GTR. You should be proud of making those too.
But in the end, this thread is for the Hammerhead CF250 buggies. I have talked to Hammerhead and they will no longer be having any transmission gears or shift forks made. So that will pretty much be the EOL for buggies with the CF250 engines.
The average buyer of these buggies will not be able to purchase replacement gears or shift forks(soon) anymore and will not be able to afford to have a run made from CFmoto.
The low gears are a common problem. Maybe mine being a later model than yours did use cheaper materials for the gears, I don't really know for sure. My buddy with a HH GTS 250 had to replace his and was able to buy a set from Hammerhead when they had them. He said the quality was much improved over the gears he removed. He also said the the metal looked & felt stronger too.
I know I've always been real careful with changing into low, never in motion or slamming into place. Didn't matter as it still started to skip when a load is put on it.
It's a sad fact, because I really like this buggy and wouldn't of spent all the time and money upgrading if I didn't. In fact I have another friend that just bought a HH 250SS with the low gear issue. He bought it on my recommendation, so you know how i feel.
I really like mini buggies and have gotten a lot of my friends into them. We brought 7 buggies in our group for the 2019 Buggy Bash. I have 3 more friends that have bought buggies since then (HH250, GTR 300 & Kandi 250cc).
But I don't think I could recommend a buggy with the CF250 anymore unless there were affordable replacement parts for this engine. Just finding a CVT cover is hard now. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but it seems to be pretty much over for the CF250 as far as these parts go.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:57 pm 
Aftermarket Dealer

Do not mix Hammerhead and CF Moto, 2 different companies. Hammerhead manufactured the machine itself and purchased the engine from CF Moto. In other words they build the machine around the engine.

The GTR 250 was an example. In the case of Carter, they went out of business not SYM that manufacture the engine. As you know Can Am DS 250 use the same 250 engine.

Now the game is to find another machine that use the same engine as the Hammerhead
and some of the parts will fit for sure. I know PGO did and maybe still have some components that cross reference with Hammerhead.

As for the low gear I need to agree with you I wasn't able to keep them in stock and ran out long time ago. I know the low gear I did have were from CF Moto directly, not an aftermarket brand.

As for recommending the HH 250 SS / GTS, unless someone want to spend the money upfront and keep the parts in stock it will be harder to find parts.

The Hammerhead 250 SS is the reason why I am selling parts online now. I bought the bankruptcy here in Canada in 2010. I end up with more parts that I will ever break and end up selling them online until I received emails from people to get more of this and that.

If I was you I would keep it and keep an eye on parts when they come out. I might even start looking to get some CF Moto parts in again but that will take time and patience.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm 
Buggy Crazed

I did not mix up Hammerhead and CFmoto. I know Hammerhead got their engines from CFmoto, but Hammerhead are also not having anymore parts made for them by CFmoto.
I also stated above that the average buyer who purchases a buggy with the CF250 engine will not be able to afford having to purchase a run of parts from CFmoto.
But it's the reverse for the GTR. Like you posted above there are other models that use the SYM engine and you can still get engine parts for it. But certain other parts are non existent.
If you ever get the parts in for the CF250, I and I'm sure others, would be very happy. I personally like the CF250 and would keep it. But I still couldn't recommend a buggy with this engine until parts are readily available.
If anyone else knows of a source for these parts, please post up here or message me. Thanks.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:09 pm 
Buggy Addict

I think the moral of the story here is, don't break your gears! I have a complete set of gears that I was going to take to a machinist friend just to get an idea on the cost to replace the 2-3 known to fail. I'm sure this has been done before and it was probably too expensive to have done.

I know when I put this last Hammerhead together, I made sure the brake safety cable was working so that it could not be shifted without the foot on the brake.

It's really too bad this engine/trans set up was discontinued. It think it's perfect for these little buggies. Also sucks that there is no longer a BBK available.

Joylaris 400

Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:01 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Sockman wrote:
I think the moral of the story here is, don't break your gears! I have a complete set of gears that I was going to take to a machinist friend just to get an idea on the cost to replace the 2-3 known to fail. I'm sure this has been done before and it was probably too expensive to have done.

I know when I put this last Hammerhead together, I made sure the brake safety cable was working so that it could not be shifted without the foot on the brake.

It's really too bad this engine/trans set up was discontinued. It think it's perfect for these little buggies. Also sucks that there is no longer a BBK available.

I hardly ever used low gear and my brake safety has always worked. My motor mounts were tight too. I have always tried to take care of the gears knowing about the low gear issue from the start.
My buddy with the HH GTS250 has his old gearset and shift forks. I've been trying to get them from him, but he hasn't found where he stored them. If he ever does, I'm going to see if my friend who made me the GTR sprockets can help.
I really wanted a BBK. But like you posted above, they're no longer around. No stock or performance exhausts left either.
I agree with you, it does suck. Still a great small engine imo, but not really a future for it.

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8