It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:15 am

Post subject: Trailmaster 300 top speed 45mph???
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:45 pm 
Probie

Hello there. New to the forum. I recently purchased a new Trailmaster xrs 300 4 seater. I put it together myself and it’s running good except for WOT on long straights. I thought it was a matter of running too lean so I rejetted it with a jet kit from 6 sigma jet kits. Those guys are awesome. Anyhow, I jetted up from a 128 main jet to a 135 and a 35 pilot jet to a 40. I also dropped my needle clip one position richer and drilled the slide for quicker throttle response. I rerouted the fuel lines so it’s all upstream from the carb giving it no gravity issues. I also put on a slightly bigger inline fuel filter. I went up a tooth on the small sprocket from 14 to 15 and added street tires. When the kart gets to 45 it hesitated and keeps it dead constant bouncing between 45.0 and 45.6 mph. Are these things speed limited? Highest I could get bone stock was 46.7 and that was before it started cutting out a bit. If I let off the gas and got back on it everything was fine for a few seconds then it would cut out again.

Any suggestions would help. I did a lot of measuring and documenting everything on this before I found this forum so if anybody has questions let me know. I’ve been through this nose to tail. PS I checked my plug after every top speed run and it’s on the rich side and def not lean. I tried adjusting the air screw after I drilled the Welch plug and same results if I run it almost lean or almost rich

Post subject: Re: Trailmaster 300 top speed 45mph???
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:28 am 
Buggy Addict

Not sure what you're expecting, but that scooter motor can only do so much, especially with a 4 seater. I'd say 45mph is pretty decent top speed. You could consider ditching the stock air box, go with a UNI and then a different exhaust. Might help.

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:38 pm 
Probie

i contacted the engineer from 6 sigma as to whether or not these are speed governed and he said they were. I’m thinking I can put a new ungoverned cdi box from amazon on it along with a tach to make sure I’m not over revving.

Also I managed to street legal my machine. Registered it and got a license plate and OHV sticker for it too. Hopefully I’ll be daily driving this before long.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:44 pm 
Admin

When we down in your area for the balloon festival a couple years ago, we did not see any buggies or UTV's on the streets. Our buggy is also dual off-road and street licensed and was our get around town vehicle when we were there.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:40 pm 
Probie

Update to my Trailmaster 300. Upped the pilot jet from a 40 to a 42. Dialed in the mixture a bit better. Now top speed goes from 45.6 to 48 running an open carb. With the wheels off the ground it’ll run wide open to mid 50 till the speedometer can’t keep up and goes to 127. Now I’m starting to think I have an airflow problem with the stock box. I’m also researching into a flat slide carb and maybe one tooth down in the rear. Anybody know of any exhaust or just chop the stock can off and weld on an aftermarket?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:13 pm 
Probie

I have a 2 seat version of the 300XRX/XRS that has been giving me carb problems all along. I am looking for a way to make this thing reliable and a little quicker and it sounds like you're a couple of steps ahead of me. Are you running the stock carb that came on your 300? I want to contact the folks at 6 sigma but I am new to this buggy stuff and don't even know what to ask them at this point. Any help would be appreciated.