It is currently Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:02 pm

Post subject: Mini-mini Buggy IRS axles?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:20 am 
Probie

Hey guys,

So my cousin has a China Inc dirt bike that he bought a few years back and the previous owner was supposed to "get the Title to him" and well, as you can guess, that never happened. At this point he doesn't want to go through the hassle of doing a "lost title" at DMV for a 200cc China Inc. dirt bike that isn't worth as much as my shirt. But it got me/us thinking about building a tiny Go Kart size off roader with the engine. 200cc, 15-16HP, five speed and electric start on a 48" +/- wheel base maybe 42-46" track (I'm thinking 1960's size) that would fit in the bed of a small pickup. Hell, maybe even source a few more engines (link to cheap engines) and have 3 or 4 we could race on his 80 or so acres. So there is the premise.

I have been thinking about it in the evenings and it definitely needs suspension at all four corners, maybe 4 to 6" travel, just enough to soak up some bumps to save the butt and back. The front is easy, little double A-arms (as long as will fit), a spindle and a spring and shock. The rear however, is another issue. The whole motor mounted to the swing arm thing like a lot of the cheap China karts is out, it's just a crap Idea, way too much unsprung weight and the motor gets beat to death. Swing arm with a jack shaft would work but it's not independent and that's a ton of bearings, chains and shafts and whatnot and all that stuff takes power to turn. I really like the Idea of IRS, super low unsprung weight, the bumps only affect the one wheel and it would just be trick on a tiny kart.

There seem to be a few ways to go about it, the first is the jack shaft with parallel trailing arms and chain drive down to the wheel. Like so...

Post subject: Re: Mini-mini Buggy IRS axles?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:43 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

It almost appears as if your post got cut off or was unfinished. Did you have a question, or were you just putting ideas to paper, so to speak?