It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:21 am

Post subject: Are there any open differential experts here ?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:32 am 
Probie

I have a 2001 Polaris Ranger with the solid rear axle and an open differential. I'm having an issue with the rear end that I can't figure out. When I have it in 2 wheel drive mode and the rear unlocked it will spin one tire in the dirt while the left tire sits still with no clunks clanks or other odd noises. If I take off gently I can kind of get it moving as the right rear tire spins but if I give it just a touch too much throttle the one tire will dig a hole while the left tire sits still and I'm stuck. If I lock the rear diff it works just fine even in 4x4. If I put and 80 lb bag of concrete on the passenger side the tire will not spin as much and it works ok. on dry pavement it work just fine as well. I checked air pressure in the tires and they are all the same. I softened the shocks on 3 sides and cranked the right rear up as hard as it will go and it still spins the right rear tire. I have the rearend out now to look and see if there is something wrong inside and everything looks fine nothing broken or severely worn, the splines on both ends of both axles are good as well as the stub axles coming out of the differential and the splines on the hubs. The frame is straight the swing arm is level and the tires are the same size and in good condition. Could the spider gears be causing this problem ? would shimming them up help ? any ideas on what else I should look for before I put the rearend back together ? any ideas on what to check next ?

Post subject: Re: Are there any open differential experts here ?
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:39 am 
Admin

I am not familiar with your Polaris, but it sounds like one half shaft is always powered and locking the differential engages the second one. Have you seen the video in this link?

https://www.matfoundrygroup.com/News%20 ... ntial_Work

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 am 
Probie

I have seen that video in the past but I watched it again and a couple others that popped up on that website to make sure I'm not missing something But I have got to be missing something. I will be working on it tomorrow and hopefully I can figure it out. I have a 2006 Ranger 2 wheel drive that has the same rearend in it and I have never had to lock the rearend and it's never gotten stuck on me. I might try swapping wheels and tires with that one to see if that could possibly be the problem. If anybody has any ideas please post them at this point I'm willing to try just about anything including narrowing and swapping a small car rearend into this thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:11 am 
Admin

When you jack up the rear and spin one wheel, does the other one spin in the opposite direction? If it this does not happen on both sides when you manually rotate the wheels, you have an open differential issue.

I'm not sure if the Polaris uses a true open differential or whether one side is always locked and the other side only locks when you activate the differential lock. Read this about Turf Mode: https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/self-h ... /KA-01498/

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:28 pm 
Probie

Thank you for responding. I did finally figure this differential out yesterday and I will post the problem with as much detail as I can for anybody else that bumps into this problem. My first post details the problem I was having. I had this differential apart 5 or 6 times trying to figure it out. I would go through the differential with a fine tooth come and make everything was perfect inside, put it together ,put axles on it on the bench, turn them both directions to make sure it was working, test the diff lock to make sure it was working in lock and unlock and everything would check out just fine. Then I would put the axle tubes on it and install it only to have one tire spinning. yesterday I completely assembled it and while it was still on the bench I was checking it and only one axle was engaging I was able to put my ear right on the axle tube and hear it slipping on the splines. I took the tube off and the axle off and sure enough the middle of the splines were gone. There were splines at the front and back of the bore but nothing left in the middle where the axle contacted when it was assembled. when I would test it unassembled I apparently was pushing the axle in further or not as far as it normally road when it was completely assembled making it feel like it was working correctly. When I checked the splines in the axles I saw the perfect splines at the front of the bore and thought the axle was good. Anyway … I ended up drilling the axle and the shaft and putting a pin in it and now it works just perfect.