It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:03 pm

Post subject: Ignition Switch Problems
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:02 pm 

I recently bought a used Kandi 150fs. It is in rough shape. I did not have the keys so I bought a new ignition switch and installed it. I have a fully charged battery but when I turn the switch over it does nothing. But I can jump it at the solenoid and it will turn over. I even tied the brake switch wires together. But it gets no spark, no juice on 1st position. Could this be the CDI?

Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch Problems
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:08 pm 

The ignition switch was 1 black 2 green 3 yellow with green stripe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:41 pm 
Buggy Dealer

Could be cdi or coil or the new switch as ive gotten them before and they had the same plug but was pinned wrong. You can cut or pull the black/white wire out at the cdi to see if its the key or some otherkill switch causing no spark. If its dc cdi then it may or may not have a black/white wire and you should be able to run another ground to the cdi to check that way.....I hope that made sense.

HH150
Gs Moon buggy 150
Many other random parts buggys (still never have what im needing tho :/ )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm 

I am about to try your suggestion. Another question..There is a plug for a 4 pin regulator/rectifier but no regulator/rectifier. Is this something that should be on there? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:14 pm 

I did take the black and white wire out....still no spark.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:53 am 
Buggy Addict

tomwebb66 wrote:
I am about to try your suggestion. Another question..There is a plug for a 4 pin regulator/rectifier but no regulator/rectifier. Is this something that should be on there? Thanks!

Yes.this may be the reason solenoid is not
Activating.
Three of the wires in that plug come from stator and the red should go up and hook to battery side of solenoid to put charge in battery and 12 volt power for solenoid.
The yellow/red at switch should be the hot wire for solenoid.once it touches ground it activates.
Going from memory on my old sunl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:16 am 
Buggy Dealer

Do we know if this is AC or DC cdi? I have a couple of DC buggys that have the kill wire and a couple that dont.....Yours has the black/white so if its DC then it could be a bad ground or still be the wrong pinout on the switch as DC buggy cdis get their power through a switched 12+ wire at the key.....It could also be bad trigger or trigger wire connection or bad ground still or coil/plug/cdi just outright bad or AC inplace of DC or vise versa. Do you have any extra plugs coils and cdis you can try?

Regulator will not cause it not to crankup and run BUT i have had a couple of buggys that when i took the regulator off they would either not turnover or would barley turnover because of the ground wire on the regulator plug......Basically i had bad grounds elsewhere and was only getting ground from the ground wire coming out of the stator and when i would unplug it i would lose ground.

Regulator plug has one wire for charging (red sometimes pink) Yellow one for lights (mainly used on scooters and buggys that the lights automatically come when started) and a green ground. And yes usually solenoid has a yellow/green and then some other color on the second wire. So one of the yellow/greens on the switch wires will be for the solenoid but why 3 of the same color i have no clue lol. Can you get a pic of the plug/wires that the switch plugs in to?

Im thinking its wired for DC cdi and if so then the black wire at the switch should hot when the key is on and then the greens are groun or atleast one of the greens is ground and one yellow/green is the solenoid......

Black....Hot when on
Green.....Ground
Green.....Ground????
Yellow/green.....Solenoid
Yellow/green....????....Possibly 12v+???
Yellow/green....????

HH150
Gs Moon buggy 150

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:25 pm 

3 wires in 4 way plug in CDI and 2 wires in 2 wire plug in CDI. If i am not mistaken that is ac. Most DCs are 4 wire and 1 wire correct? And DCs tend to be larger.
Could I ground the one wire where the regulator goes?
How do I upload photos?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:27 pm 

And yesterday I received my new coil, AC CDI and starter relay. Have not installed yet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:42 pm 

Right now I have the black on the number 1 position, the green on the number 2 position and the red/yellow on the number 3 position. Ignition switch.

Attachments:
File comment: CDI
IMG_20180422_150149414.jpg
IMG_20180422_150149414.jpg [ 2.99 MiB | Viewed 3334 times ]
File comment: Ignition switch wires, not plug in. Black, Green and red/yellow.
IMG_20180422_150302054.jpg
IMG_20180422_150302054.jpg [ 2.9 MiB | Viewed 3334 times ]
File comment: Kill switch wires. Black and black and white.
IMG_20180422_150432215.jpg
IMG_20180422_150432215.jpg [ 2.43 MiB | Viewed 3334 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:53 pm 

BEEFKING69 wrote:
Do we know if this is AC or DC cdi? I have a couple of DC buggys that have the kill wire and a couple that dont.....Yours has the black/white so if its DC then it could be a bad ground or still be the wrong pinout on the switch as DC buggy cdis get their power through a switched 12+ wire at the key.....It could also be bad trigger or trigger wire connection or bad ground still or coil/plug/cdi just outright bad or AC inplace of DC or vise versa. Do you have any extra plugs coils and cdis you can try?

Regulator will not cause it not to crankup and run BUT i have had a couple of buggys that when i took the regulator off they would either not turnover or would barley turnover because of the ground wire on the regulator plug......Basically i had bad grounds elsewhere and was only getting ground from the ground wire coming out of the stator and when i would unplug it i would lose ground.

Regulator plug has one wire for charging (red sometimes pink) Yellow one for lights (mainly used on scooters and buggys that the lights automatically come when started) and a green ground. And yes usually solenoid has a yellow/green and then some other color on the second wire. So one of the yellow/greens on the switch wires will be for the solenoid but why 3 of the same color i have no clue lol. Can you get a pic of the plug/wires that the switch plugs in to?

Im thinking its wired for DC cdi and if so then the black wire at the switch should hot when the key is on and then the greens are groun or atleast one of the greens is ground and one yellow/green is the solenoid......

Black....Hot when on
Green.....Ground
Green.....Ground????
Yellow/green.....Solenoid
Yellow/green....????....Possibly 12v+???
Yellow/green....????

So do I need a regulator before I try the new components? Not 6 wires on ignition, only 3. I was stating what position the wires were currently at on the switch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 am 
Buggy Dealer

No it will crank and run without the regulator as long as its not trying to get ground through the regulator ground. And ok so 3 wires......i coulda swore i read that as 5 wire switch #-o ......3 wire so green and black should be grounds and the solenoid is hot all the time and the switch connects the ground on it in the start position. You will just have to play with the positons of the wires on the switch but you can take the wires off and tie the black and green together and then touch the red/yellow to them and the starter should turn over.

Yes that should be AC although ive seen AC use only one wire in the 2 pin and same with DC but yes AC is usually smaller but not always......I know its confusing.....The bottom wire in the 2 pin should be black/red its just faded to white.

Yes you can ground everything separate as long as you have a ground from battery to motor and then one from motor to harness/whatever you want grounded.

Here is a link to the 3 wire switch pinout......https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-center/ ... -and-150r/

Here is a wiring diagram that will get you running....Ill post pic and link....https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-center/ ... g-diagram/

Attachments:
Crossfire-150R.jpg
Crossfire-150R.jpg [ 234.53 KiB | Viewed 3314 times ]

HH150
Gs Moon buggy 150

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:10 pm 

I took, I got the two ground wires off and put them together and touch the red wire to them. I got Spark from touching the wires together but nothing turned over.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:34 pm 

Okay I replaced the CDI and nothing happened. But I replace the starter relay and now the engine turns over with the switch but there's no spark so I'm about to change the coil. Butt is there a secret to getting the coil wire through the hole in the Box?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:08 pm 

I put the new coil on and I have spark. It tries to start but doesn't. I flooded it also. The gas kept running after I stopped cranking and gas came out the overflow . I removed the plug and it was fouled so I cranked it and gas came out of the chamber. I removed the carb when I got it and cleaned it out. It could be bad? It will hit a few lick but not start.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:28 pm 

The plug is getting a little blue spark...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 am 
Buggy Dealer

Ok i tried to reply to your first post earlier today and tell you it could be the solenoid but my phone wouldnt log in but you got it any wat so thats awesome. The coil wire unscrews from the coil and the boot also unscrews from the wire. Probaly need a rebuild kit for the carb as its flooding and thats why the plug is fouled and why gas is coming out the plug hole. also check your valve lash and compression as any of those 3 will make it hard to crank or not crank or run bad. Blue spark is good spark.

HH150
Gs Moon buggy 150

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:45 pm 

Ok pulled off the carb and the needle seat was full of trash. Clean it out really well. I also drained the fuel from the tank and it was dirty brown. Lot of trash in it also. I cleaned the tank out best I could. Going to replace the petcock and get a fuel filter before I try again. Also will post a pic soon for evaluation. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 pm 

Yuck

Attachments:
File comment: The inside of the intake.
IMG_20180424_174155770.jpg
IMG_20180424_174155770.jpg [ 3.85 MiB | Viewed 3246 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 pm 
Buggy Dealer

Wow......I cant believe its not locked up......Id bet money its got hardly no compression. Since you have the intake off spray a burst of carb cleaner or staring fluid in the intake there and see if it will bust off. Can dribble some gas in there if you dont have any spray.

HH150
Gs Moon buggy 150