Started like 90% of the GK13's I've seen (I've only seen half a dozen of these all together...alex-buggy's being one of them, and only one other on this site).
We spent some time like this due to needing some last minute shielding...it's simple flashing from Home depot and a bunch of zip ties. Tacky, but worked for what I needed.
This season, though, I've decided I'll put a little more cash into it. I bought a 4x8 sheet of aluminum plate and some DOM tubing.
After a little cutting, a little bending, and welding, I got this:
Cosmetically I think it looks a lot meaner. But I had some legitimate desires when setting this up. The original cage is made out of decent enough tubing...but the front end was so long it simply wasn't strong. It was flimsy. I don't think it would have helped a lot should I had come into need of a roll cage. On top of that, it's a welded cage now instead of a creaky bolted cage. Might be a little more complicated if I need to remove it, but it's stronger now than it ever was.
We're not done, yet, though. That roof only took a 3x3 piece of the plating. I'm going to be making some fenders, next...not sure how yet, though. I want to enclose the front wheels. 99% of my riding is putting around a field with the neighborhood kiddies and those front tires kick up a lot of pebbles, stickers, and dirt. I want something a little more protecting than fenders. Drawing board stuff. This is why the end of the tubing is still open for those who notice...I don't want to cap it and then have to grind it off in the next couple weeks to sort out how my fenders will work.
Lastly, the primary passengers (one of them is too occupied with getting her seat belt sorted out to grace you people with a smile). These two are the primary reason I haven't crammed my VFR800 engine into the back yet...it will become far less friendly to tiny passengers with the additional 90hp and a shifter lol.